Mayor's Office

Water bill assistance available for eligible Flint residents

FLINT, Mich. – Water bill assistance is available for eligible Flint and Genesee County residents through a program administered by the Genesee County Community Action Resource Department (GCCARD). Eligible Flint and Genesee County residents can receive up to $3,000 towards late water and sewer bills.

To be eligible, residents must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty level and provide required documentation, including:

  • A valid state ID for all adults in the household
  • Social security numbers for every member of the household
  • Records of household income for the past 30 days, which can include paycheck stubs, social security benefits, supplemental security income (SSI), retirement benefits, and any other proof of income.
  • Past due water bill
  • Lease agreement must be provided if bill is in Landlord’s name
  • If the applicant has a DHHS benefits summary or notice of case action, that documentation is also required.

Flint residents who are struggling with water bills and who would like to learn more about the Local Water Utility Affordability program can call the Neighborhood Services Center Emergency Services Hotline at 810-768-4675. Phone lines open at 8:30 a.m. Monday through Thursday. The GCCARD main phone number is 810-232-2185.

Residents can also obtain information on the program at the Water Customer Service Center at Flint City Hall, at the City of Flint Service Center on Clio Rd.