- Property must be zoned residential (i.e. dwelling, single family home).
- Property owner intends to remove and replace the sidewalk, regardless of the condition.
- Property owner intends to install sidewalk where there is currently no sidewalk.
How to Apply
Property owner may apply to participate in the program either by picking up a Sidewalk Replacement Program application, or by completing the 50/50 Sidewalk Replacement Program application below. In order to participate in the 50/50 program you must submit a deposit totaling 50% of the estimated sidewalk replacement cost to City of Flint-Treasurer, which will be retained until the Contractor completes the sidewalk replacement project. Payments can be made by check/money order/cash. The City of Flint will process payment to the Contractor upon acceptance and completion of all required work that will include the property owner’s 50% retainage and the City of Flint’s 50% match.
- Remember to specify on the draft of the application where the sidewalk is to be replaced.
- Specify on the application if the sidewalk in need of replacement is located on the corner (the ramp leading into the street).
- After the application has been reviewed by Street Maintenance, the applicant will be contacted within ten business days and informed of the city’s decision to provide the 50% match for the applicant to participate in the 50/50 Sidewalk Replacement Program.
Scope of the Program
The scope of the 50/50 Sidewalk Replacement Program includes all sidewalks located in the right of way. The property owner of corner properties will be responsible for both sidewalks in front (address side) of their property and the sidewalk on the adjacent side street of the property.
The scope of work does not include replacing the driveway approach. If your driveway crosses the sidewalk, the scope of work will only include the sidewalk through the driveway.
The 50/50 Sidewalk Replacement Program includes replacing the main sidewalk in front of the property, as well as, the courtesy walk (the smaller walkway that runs perpendicular to the main walk, from the main walk to the curb).
Payment to Contractors
The City of Flint Department of Public Works will process payment to the contractor who has completed all the work as required by the terms of the Sidewalk Replacement Program following the completion of:
- Backfill all areas with topsoil and grass seed that were disturbed during construction of the new sidewalk.
- Passing final inspection by Right-of-Way Enforcement officers, accepting workmanship as satisfactory completed, satisfactory replacement of topsoil, grass seed and mulching (straw to protect seed from blowing away).
- After the City of Flint receives the initial 50% of the total cost for the sidewalk replacement from the property owner. The property owner shall make a retainage payment payable to the City of Flint- Treasurer.
- The City of Flint will process payment to the contractor upon acceptance and completion of all required work that will include the property owner’s 50% retainage and the City of Flint’s 50% match.
Responsibilities of Contractors
- It will be the responsibility of the contractor to contact the property owner to set up a date to remove and replace the concrete sidewalk. The construction season runs approximately from April 15th to October 31st. Once enrollment for the year has closed, participation in the program will no longer be accepted and property owners will have to apply for the program the following year.
- Contact MISS DIG to locate any underground utilities.
- Provide construction warning tape or other City of Flint approved barricades to warn the public the sidewalk is closed.
- Provide a person(s) to monitor freshly poured concrete until concrete hardens; to prevent vandalisms and unintentional walking onto fresh poured concrete.
Responsibilities of the City of Flint
- Verify the contractor is pre-qualified to participate in the 50/50 Sidewalk Replacement Program.
- Verify Contractor obtains a sidewalk permit from Building Inspection. Note-the sidewalk permit fee will be waived for this program only, but a permit is required for internal payment tracking and processing.
- Verify the contractor is licensed by the City of Flint as a sidewalk contractor through the City Clerk’s office.
Handicap Accessible Ramp
The City of Flint will pay 100% of the cost to replace curb ramps that adjoin sidewalks located on corner lots near intersections to adhere to ADA requirements.
Note to residents: The City of Flint reserves the right to suspend or cancel the program during any time. To ensure fairness, requests will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis