Special Event / Street Closing Procedures & Application

Please Read Carefully. The application file can be found at the bottom of the page.

A written application requesting a street closing due to a parade, block party, special event, etc., must be sent to the Mayor’s Office at least 60-90 days prior to the event, depending upon the streets affected and the type of activity. This application must be returned to the Mayor’s Office with a non-refundable check or money order for $25.00 to cover the administrative cost for processing.

A request that will affect a residential area must include a petition with signatures of over 51% of the residents living in the affected area. One adult from each address that consents to this closing should be on the petition. (Only one signature per household will be counted). This petition must include the request for the street closing, contact person’s name, address, and telephone number for each signature obtained. The information must be accurate and legible. (If telephone numbers are not included, the signatures cannot be verified and the application will take longer to process).

A request that will affect a Major Street in Flint, especially in the Downtown area, must include the dates involved, along with routing or location of the event to avoid possible conflict with other activities in the same area. (If your event involves closing a State of Michigan Trunk line Highway, you must contact the Transportation Department at 766-7165 at least 60 days prior to the event). Send a request as soon as your organization has completed preliminary plans to ensure that any necessary adjustments can be made in a timely fashion.

Requests for special services, i.e., police escort or barricades must be made at least 30 days prior to the event to ensure proper notification to the appropriate City Departments. This procedure will help assure that we have given you the best possible service.

Upon approval of your event, you will be advised of the cost estimate for those City Services required. You must forward payment, as invoiced, prior to the date of your event. You will also be required to provide a certificate of insurance, and to sign an Indemnification Agreement to protect the City of Flint from any potential liability.

Your certificate of liability insurance must show $1,000,000.00 per occurrence. The City of Flint must be shown as the Certificate holder. It also needs to include the following statement:

“The City of Flint and including all elected and appointed officials, all employees and volunteers, boards, commissions and/or authorities, and their board members, employees and volunteers, names as ‘Additional Insureds’.”

If your event involves no City Services, other than the supplying of equipment for you to set up ( typical for a block party), then you will be required to present a check or money order to the City personnel at the 12th St. yards (702 W. 12th St.). The check or money order is in accordance with the attached fee schedule, and you must sign a material loan record committing to return those materials. Failure to return materials will result in additional fees as shown on the attached schedule.

Resource Description Actions
Special Event & Street Closure Request Open File | Download
COVID Compliance Event Plan Open File | Download