Mayor Karen Weaver appointed Sylvester Jones Jr. to the position of City Administrator in March 2016. As the City Administrator of Flint, Jones is responsible for the day to day management of all City departments and working to ensure that goals outlined by the City Council are implemented. Currently the City of Flint is under a state appointed Receivership Transition Advisory Board (RTAB) which has final approval authority on matters of expense, including employment positions. Upon the Emergency Manager’s exit, a final Executive Order was issued which outlines the roles and responsibilities of the City Administrator. This order will remain in place for as long as the RTAB oversees the finances of the City.
In accordance with the order the City Administrator performs high level administrative, technical and professional work in directing and supervising the day-to-day management of city government. All department heads of the City report directly to the City Administrator.
Other essential duties of the City Administrator Include:
- Serves as the chief administrative officer in implementation of executive policy, strategic planning, Master Plan activities and directs the management of day-to-day-administrative activities and appointed staff officials.
- Assembles financial and management information; meets and confers with City department heads to gather and assemble pertinent data and information and recommendations for the Mayor and City Council’s consideration in making executive determinations and policy.
- Translates executive decisions and policies of the RTAB and Mayor into administrative procedures for the cost effective and efficient operation of the City.
- Implements legislative action of the City Council as approved by the RTAB.
- Monitors and manages the administrative inter-activity of City departments so the delivery of public services represents an efficient, effective and coordinated effort.
- Interacts with other governmental agencies as requested by the RTAB, Mayor or City Council.
- Prepares and reviews correspondence, reports, speeches, resolutions, and other material for public relations purposes. Answers citizen and official inquiries regarding City policy matters.
- Directs the preparation of the agenda for City Council meetings.
- Attends RTAB, City Council, and Council Committee meetings advising members, and makes recommendations to committees consistent with policy objectives, strategic planning and administrative activities.
The full order pertaining to the duties and responsibilities of the City Administrator can be found here.
Contact City Administrator:
1st Floor City Hall Phone: (810)766-7346
Statement from Mayor Weaver on Suit Filed Today in U.S. District Court
Flint, MI – Mayor Karen Weaver issued the following statement Wednesday after the Michigan Department of Environm...Read More
Statement from Mayor Weaver on RTAB Decision to Strike Down Proposed Water Lien Moratorium
Flint, MI – Flint Mayor Karen Weaver issued the following statement Tuesday after the state appointed Receivershi...Read More
Pipes at 1,871 Homes Replaced So Far through Mayor Weaver’s FAST Start Initiative
FLINT, Mich. — Lead-tainted service lines at 973 homes have been replaced so far in Phase 4 of Mayor Karen Weaver...Read More