The City of Flint is taking a hard line against reckless driving, sending a message that there will be consequences for drivers who break the law and endanger lives.
City officials filed a lawsuit in Circuit Court last week against a man accused of recklessly driving a vehicle in Flint. The claim states that the vehicle and the person operating it were not only reckless but should be declared a public nuisance and the vehicle should be forfeited to the City of Flint.
According to the complaint, a grey Dodge Charger was seen traveling up to 100 miles per hour on Saginaw St. near E. Fifth St. and Martin Luther King Blvd. in the early morning of Saturday, March 25. A Michigan State Police trooper reportedly witnessed the vehicle do “donuts” in the street and almost collide with another car. The trooper captured part of the incident on video.
“We want to make it clear that dangerous driving will not be tolerated inside the city of Flint,” Flint Mayor Sheldon Neeley said. “The safety of Flint residents is our top priority. Those who get behind the wheel of a vehicle and drag race, drive aggressively, or recklessly are not only putting innocent people at risk, but they are breaking the law. The Flint Police Department and our law enforcement agency partners are committed to cracking down on this dangerous behavior for the protection of Flint residents, especially our children. Flint kids deserve to feel safe in their neighborhoods, without the threat of reckless drivers.”
According to Flint City ordinance, any motor vehicle used to engage in reckless driving in the city of Flint is a nuisance and subject to forfeiture.
“If you endanger the peace and safety of this community, we will not hesitate to take legal action against you, including the possible forfeiture of your vehicle,” Mayor Neeley said. “I’m asking drivers to heed this warning. Do the right thing and drive safely, for the protection of yourself and others.”