FLINT, Mich. — Lead-tainted service lines at 2,606 homes have been replaced so far in Phase 4 of Mayor Karen Weaver’s FAST Start initiative. The effort is part of the mayor’s plan to replace lead-tainted pipes at 6,000 Flint homes in 2017.
Crews from four area companies are replacing lead and galvanized service lines leading from the street to the water meter in residents’ homes during this fourth phase of FAST Start, extending the mayor’s efforts to restore safe, clean drinking water to Flint residents. Overall, service lines to 3,505 homes have been replaced since FAST Start began in March 2016.
In addition, crews have identified copper service lines at a total of 800 homes which did not need to be replaced. Workers have begun checking the composition of 4,000 service lines using hydro-excavation. The process will allow pipe replacement crews to avoid digging up copper service lines and concentrate just on homes with lead and galvanized pipes. So far, lines at 1,269 homes have been checked.
To be eligible for service line replacements, residents must have an active water account. They also must have signed a consent card giving permission for the work to be done (consent cards are being delivered to residents). In rental homes, both the owner and the tenant must sign consent cards. Residents are urged to sign the consent cards as soon as possible, so crews working in their neighborhood can replace their service line.
FAST Start crews will continue work in the following areas this week:
- Goyette Mechanical Co.: Bradley Avenue, Bruce Street, East Belvidere Avenue, West Belvidere Avenue, Clement Street, West Eddington Avenue, Gainey Avenue, Golfside Lane, Greenly Street, Irene Avenue, Madison Avenue, East Lakeview Avenue, West Lakeview Avenue, East Livingston Drive, Oliver Street, Rosalie Drive and Woodburne Drive
- W.T. Stevens Construction: Bennett Avenue, Cartier Street, Crocker Avenue, Dwight Avenue, Jane Avenue, Ingleside Avenue, Liberty Street, Maplewood Avenue, Markham Street, Pingree Avenue and Stanford Avenue
- Lang Construction: East Jackson Avenue, West Jackson Avenue, East Rankin Street, West Rankin Street
- Waldorf and Sons: New York Avenue and Belle Avenue More information about the FAST Start initiative can be found on the City of Flint website
- www.cityofflint.com as well as the City of Flint FAST Start Facebook page, along with Instagram and Twitter. Questions about FAST Start may be directed to the FAST Start office by emailing [email protected] or call (810) 410-1133.
- The goal is to have all of Flint’s lead-tainted service lines — nearly 20,000 — replaced by 2020, with 6,000 pipes replaced annually over the next three years.