The City of Flint Fire Department is partnering with the Richard A. Battle Foundation to give away home carbon monoxide (CO) detectors on Friday, November 20, 2015 from 10am-2pm at Fire Station #6, 716 W. Pierson Rd. The CO detectors are free to Flint residents with a limit of one per household. The giveaway will continue as long as supplies last.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, an average of 430 people die each year in the U.S. from carbon monoxide poisoning. Gases from home furnaces, generators and other fuel burning appliances can build up in homes that are not well ventilated, especially in the winter months when homes are closed to the elements. “This life saving device will warn you and your family of the colorless, odorless and deadly gas carbon monoxide.” said Flint Fire Chief David Cox, Jr. “If you hear the detector go off, get out of the house, leave your door open (to allow the gas to escape) and call 911.”
This will be the 2nd year the Richard A. Battle Foundation has partnered with the department to provide these life saving devices. Mrs. Tonya Jackson-Battle created the foundation after she lost her husband Richard A. Battle to carbon monoxide poisoning on November 20, 2013. Since then, she has reached out to local Fire Departments to provide free CO detectors to families. More information on the Richard A. Battle Foundation can be found on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/rabfoundationinc.