Created by Mayor Sheldon Neeley in conjunction with the city’s Office of Public Health, the Water Payment Assistance Fund is helping residents pay their water bills at a time when many are struggling because of the economic impact of coronavirus in our community and nation. 

The Water payment Assistance Fund is a pilot program that provides a credit of up to $75 for moderate- to low-income residents who need help paying their water bills. Residents can reapply and receive the credit on three months’ water bills for a credit of up to $225 per household. In most instances, the fund will match dollar for dollar the amount residents put toward their bills. 

City of Flint Water Payment Assistance Fund is made possible with CDBG Entitlement Funds. 

The customer must have an open residential account with an active meter within the City of Flint boundaries.

City of Flint water customers outside the City of Flint boundaries are not eligible for the Water Payment Assistance Fund due to funding constraints. The person applying for the credit must be listed in City of Flint records as the person financially responsible for the account and the person must occupy that residence.

Recipients must be at or below 80% of the average median income (AMI) at time of application. See the Credit Application and Income Guidelines section for additional information. Verification of income will be completed by Public Health Navigator according to HUD CDBG income verification guidelines and processes.

Recipients must have no history of tampering, fraud or diversion from the City of Flint Water Department, as determined by that department. 

Customer agrees to participate in an interview regarding program participation if requested by City of Flint. 

If a customer is denied because the program is full, the customer may periodically check with the City of Flint to inquire about availability and re-apply when appropriate. Being eligible for the program does not guarantee assistance. Available funds are limited. 

In order to participate in the Water Payment Assistance Fund, a customer must complete the fund application. This can be done by calling (810) 410-2020 or by filling out the online application. A City of Flint Public Health Navigator will then assist the applicant through the process of qualifying, including verification of income and other eligibility requirements.

The City of Flint will review customer account information including, but not limited to: Current account and meter status, balance on account, history of tampering or diversion, and previous enrollments. 

If the applicant meets the program qualifications and there are spots open in the program, City of Flint will enroll the customer in the program.  

The customer will be notified via a bill message and credit appearing on the monthly City of Flint bill. If approved, the credit may take up to two months to appear on the customer’s bill. The customer must continue to pay towards his/her City of Flint bill each month. The customer may not subtract an anticipated credit amount from the bill. 

If the applicant does not meet program qualifications, City of Flint will notify the customer via a letter sent to the customer’s address.

The approved amount of the monthly credit will be calculated by figuring the account holder’s average monthly bill over the previous 12-month period at the time City of Flint processes the application. The maximum credit is $75. Customers can apply to receive the credit on up to three months’ bills. The amount of the credit cannot exceed the actual amount owed on the water account. 

Income will be calculated through the CDBG Income Calculator provided by HUD here, utilizing the current passbook rate of 0.06.

Supporting documentation to determine the calculation shall include the following as applicable, of which copies shall be maintained in the clients file:
-Wage statement
-2018 or 2019 Tax Return
-Assistance Letters
-Bank Statements from Financial Institution
-Pay amount and employer’s name for each employed member of the household
-Amount of unearned income received by each member of the household (Social Security benefits, pension/retirement benefits, veteran’s benefits, military allotments, DHS FIP cash assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Workers’ Compensation, child support, etc.)
-Statement supporting other earned income or assets 

Additionally, one form of identification shall be provided and maintained in the client file for everyone in the household:
-Driver’s License or State ID
-Birth Certificate 

Additional documentation:
-Most recent water bill
-Proof of residency at address requesting assistance for  OR, the HUD income certification form maybe completed in lieu of the above if income supporting documents are not available you must document why.