Several contractors are working in neighborhoods across the City of Flint to remove lead-tainted service lines as part of the FAST Start Initiative. If your home has a lead or galvanized steel water service line, you may be eligible to have it replaced for free! The following conditions apply:
- The non-copper portions of the service line from the water main to your water meter will be replaced at no cost to the homeowner. You must have an active water account with the City of Flint to have your service line replaced.
- The homeowner/property owner must give permission to replace the service line. In rental homes, the tenant also must give permission for the service line to be replaced.
- You or someone 18 years old must be home while the pipe replacement is taking place.
- As part of the pipe replacement, your water may be tested before and after the service line is replaced. Water testing is voluntary, and residents will have to give separate permission for water testing to be done.
- Your water will be shut off for a period of four to 24 hours while the line is being replaced. The contractor will make every effort to have your water restored the same day that installation begins.
- Please maintain a clear path to the water meter and clear material away from the water meter so work crews can run the replacement pipe to it.
- All turf areas disturbed by the service line replacement will be seeded and mulched as soon as practicable. Pavement areas that are disturbed will be replaced with similar pavement surfaces. The city will not be responsible for any damage to trees or landscaping affected by the replacement of the service line.
- The contractor will flush the water in your home for 15 minutes after the pipe is replaced to remove any residue or sediment from the water line. You should flush your pipes a second time for at least 15 minutes once the contractor has left. This should cost you less than 10 cents for the additional water usage. You will be provided with a water filter and/or filter replacement cartridges. Please continue to use your water filters for at least 6 months or until you receive further notice from the City.
If you have questions, contact the FAST Start office weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at (810) 410-1133 or email [email protected]
To have your service line investigated (and if necessary, replaced), you will need to grant the City and its contractors the following permissions:
(1) Where investigation indicates that non-copper water service materials are present, they will be replaced with new water service materials.
(2) All turf areas disturbed by the service line replacement will be seeded and mulched as soon as practicable. Pavement areas that are disturbed will be replaced with similar pavement surfaces. The city will not be responsible for any damage to trees or landscaping affected by the replacement of the service line.
(3) Piping inside buildings beyond the water meter will not be replaced.
(4) The property owner will continue to be the owner of the water service materials being replaced by the City, and shall continue to be the owner and responsible party for the water service materials beyond the curb stop and into the home.
(5) The cost of replacing non-copper water service materials will be the City’s responsibility.
(6) The permissive rights set forth herein shall start as of the date the property occupant signs this release and shall terminate on the date that the contractor completes the work described.
You can also download the FAST Start Opt In Form here. Mail completed forms to “City of Flint FAST Start Office, 1101 S. Saginaw St., Flint, MI 48502