Historic Districts -
Berston Field House
Field House and Playground has served Flint citizens as an important
recreational center since it opened in 1923. Designed by the
Cambridge, Massachusetts, city planning firm of John Nolan, it was
developed on land deeded to the city by members of the Neil J.
Berston family in 1920. The field house contained an auditorium, a
gymnasium, a swimming pool, community meeting rooms and a branch of
the public library. At Berston people participated in sports,
exercised, performed and learned new skills. During the mid-1930s,
Berston became the first community center to admit African Americans
living in the surrounding neighborhood. Berston Field House and
Playground remains a significant part of the neighborhood.
Registered Site L1914
Location: 3300 N. Saginaw St.
Flint, Genesee County