Historic Districts -
The Superintendent's Cottage,
completed in 1890, is the oldest building on the campus of the
Michigan School for the Deaf. With the exception of the masonry
work, the cottage was built almost entirely by male students. In
the furniture for the house in the school's shops. The building
reflects the craftsmanship of the boys who studied under instructors
Edwin Barton and James Foss. Student labor saved the state money
while preparing the boys for future employment. Construction of the
cottage began during an 1880s diptheria epidemic when faculty
housing was reorganized to make room hospital space. Beginning with
Francis Clarke and his family, who lived in the house from 1892 to
1913, every superintendent has resided in the cottage.
Registered Site L0262
Location: 1301 West Court Street.
Flint, Genesee County