Historic Districts - Stockton
The November 9, 1872, edition of
the Flint Wolverine Citizen newspaper reported the near
completion of this house for retired army colonel Thomas Stockton
and his wife, Maria. The newspaper called it "elegant"
and "among the most stylish and spacious of the many first-class
houses in our city." The four and one-half-acre treed "pleasure
grounds" on which the house stood, had a mineral spring that
inspired the Stocktons to name their home Spring Grove. While
he lived in this house, Stockton worked as a commission merchant
dealing in lime, plaster, coal, and stucco. In 1921 the Sisters of
St. Joseph acquired the house and established a hospital, enlarging
the building several times to accommodate the growing medical needs.
The house served as a hospital until 1936.
Registered Site L2140
Location: 720 Ann Arbor St.
Flint, Genesee County