Historic Districts -
the medieval times, Freemasonry is likely the world's oldest
fraternity. Freemasonry dates from 1848 in Flint. Completed in 1911,
this building has housed lodges including Flint 23, Fellowship 490,
Genesee 174, Charles A. Durand 533, Morningstar 556, the Shriners,
York Rite, Scottish Rite, Order of the Eastern Star, and other
Masonic bodies that devote themselves to charitable works that
benefit the Flint Community.
Many of Flint's most prominent citizens have been Masons. The city's
"new" Masonic temple was dedicated in 1911 with great fanfare. Since
then the building has been the site of many Masonic and non-Masonic
groups who held regular meetings at the temple. The Flint Old
Newsboys held its organizational meeting here in 1924. In 1947 the
Battiste family opened the Temple Dining Room, which became a
popular restaurant and venue for benefit dinners.
Registered Site L0911
Location: 700 Block, South Saginaw St.
Flint, Genesee County